Skip to main content

my dear butt buddy

April 22, 2020

my dear butt buddy,

The point of writing these letters isn't to blame you, but merely to express my feelings. I want to make it very clear that I know you have feelings and issues and reasons too.

I don't understand when you don't reply to me.

If I asked others about this situation they'd probably tell me that you not responding is you communicating that you don't want to talk to me. But in the moments you've spoken to me you've seemed to indicate that this isn't true. That you like hearing from me? This doesn't really compute for me.
But even if I can take it as true. I have a hard time because it's rather crushing to open myself up and not receive a response.
My friend said that just because you're going through your own shit doesn't mean that my shit doesn't matter. I told him that I come second now in everything. He didn't like that. I don't know where I stand on this because it's not even an option for you to care about anything in my life right now so why bother?
It's interesting though. It was hard to stop myself from telling you things at first. I wanted to tell you about things I saw that you'd appreciate or things that reminded me of you or just to talk to you. But once I broke myself of that habit it's surprisingly easy. I still think about you, but in an abstract sense, like I wouldn't even know where to begin having a normal relationship again.
Recently you told me that you like when I send you things but to not expect a response. The rest of that day I was thinking more about what I could be sending you. I did send you a few things that I honestly thought you'd engage with (but you didn't). I think my not sending you more things is a combination of enjoying the feedback/attention from you reacting to what I send and you coming to mind less and less, which I would imagine would devastate you. Or maybe not. I feel like I don't know you anymore.



One thing we talked about early on is trust. We talked about how it's important to trust that your friends will let you know when you cross a boundary such as telling a joke that hits them the wrong way. At one point I did trust you to do that, but as of today, April 22, 2020, I do not. But that's not even my point here. We didn't discuss another type of trust. The trust that when you say something that is important to you, particularly heart matters, you're taken with a similar degree of seriousness you've intended. Having someone you care about take things that matter to you seriously is kind of underrated. I certainly never realised the importance to me until it was gone. Now I have people to share things that matter to me with, but they're not you. And I think that would be a hard thing for you to hear, but maybe you wouldn't care. What do I know anymore? I tell you after I've told everyone else and a few days after the thing. When I applied for that job I told you two weeks later. Not telling you immediately was intentional, then I just forgot and realised I should probably mention it. But unsurprisingly you didn't have the reaction I would have wanted in the moment and you replied several hours later, which for you was actually impressive. Faster than the two days I've become accustomed to.

When you tell me you love me, which happens infrequently now, sometimes I'm not in the loving mood. Often it has to do with you and this specific situation, not just  my general mood, but sometimes it is my general mood (as you know, I'm typically quite an upbeat person), but intellectually I know I love you so I respond that way, but usually all I can muster is a "ly2" so that's going to have to suffice. I know that if I don't give you energy when you're engaging with me I risk losing you even more. Which.... at this point? Might be best. But I'll stay in this holding pattern for now until I decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

my dear butt buddy

April 29, 2020 my dear butt buddy, I had felt like I didn't have anything else to say. It felt good to get it all out. I had been holding onto that stuff for a while. A few days ago you sent me a tweet. It read:        "Is there an emoji for, "I saw your text but didn't know how to perfectly respond to it so I waited until I knew exactly what to say but it's been three weeks now so now I just feel microbursts of shame every time I see your name in the elephant graveyard of messages on my phone?". I said "Aw (heartbreak emoji). I wanted you to ask me about my feelings about that, but that was foolish. You don't ask me about my feelings. You don't talk to me. If you had asked me, I would have told you that I was sad that you felt shame, but that I was happy that it meant you cared. I don't feel cared for. If you cared that would mean something to me. I don't even feel like you care a little bit. You did ask to watch Killing E...

my dear butt buddy

June 22, 2020 my dear butt buddy, We haven't really  spoken in over a month and it feels so wrong. Every week or so I get a couple lines from you without any investment. I keep trying but it hurts less now. I told you that I've been seeing a girl and you don't seem to care. Maybe you do care. I want you to care. I want you to ask about her. Literally all of my other friends have asked to see a photo of her but you haven't. She's beautiful. Inside and out. I am going to ask her to be my girlfriend this week and it feels like I can't tell you though I desperately want to. I want you to be happy for me. I know that's a lot to ask when you are so deeply unhappy inside, but I am getting back to feeling like I did something wrong with you. To you. I miss you so so much.

my dear butt buddy

April 21, 2020 We've had a tough time these past six months. A lot has happened.... bonds broken. This blog is about me though. It will be about my feelings because I know my feelings better than I know yours. I always will, but you're also not talking to me right now. You missed my birthday. I didn't need anything big, but an acknowledgment would have been nice. I know you had things going on, but that honestly doesn't change anything for me. It was one day. You could have said "hbd". Showed that you at least thought about me. It was especially hurtful after I had made a big deal for your bir thday a few weeks earlier, just as you had wanted. I thought that surely if your birthday was a big deal to you you'd make mine a big deal too.  I haven't told you this because I know it would just hurt you. As much as I want to be honest with you, I don't think this would help our relationship and it would just make you feel bad. When we were going th...